Monday, March 11, 2013

What Would You Do?

This situation is happening to a lot of people who are in my age group. You grew up middle class, parents did everything for you and now you’re living an upper class life. You can buy anything you want, because your husband is a financial wizard and knew how to save. Your parents are older and unhealthy and have difficulty meeting skyrocketing bills while their retirement or social security creeps along at a low rate. You have 12 local grandchildren who brag about the life they are living, but they actually are living pay check to paycheck. Your siblings lost major jobs and have asked for help from you. But some help their family with cleaning their homes, maintaining the lawns, and those who are local visit often, cook dinner, etc. But you carry the burden of helping to meet many of their finances because you have the money. Do you? •Stop helping your parents financially because no one else help •Continue to ask broke people to donate because they should •Hate them because they cannot help financially •Become bitter, turn gray and become depressed because your spouse is feeling like his family is carrying the burden and been holding back from that new expensive car you planned to buy last year or other things you want •You’re risking your perfect retirement of living on easy street because you’re spending in excess to help your parents to make it •Never speak to your relatives you love dearly because they are not doing enough This is a question I’m asked regularly by many who are going through this now. What do you think? For me, I would help my parents. I don’t care what anyone else does!

2 comments:

BostonPobble said...

My mother, I would help as much as possible, and am grateful not to be faced with that problem.

prioritybooks said...

I know! I am so grateful!