Sunday, September 08, 2013

Ugly Eye Fashions Become Cool Again


 
As a young girl, I would flip through magazines and look at careers, hairstyles, and clothing to see what I wanted in life. I saw an intelligent looking woman wearing these cool designers’ glasses, and I wanted them. I was eleven when I decided I had to have these particular glasses I saw on a model. I told mom, I had vision problems. When she took me to be examined, I pretended I couldn’t see the letters. I was given a prescription and next I was able to try on glasses. I tried on designer’s glasses until Momma said, “try these.” Having eight kids, she chose what I was getting based on what she was going to pay. I was so mad that mom would not give me my heart's desires. I had worn the glasses once or twice before I crunched them with something heavy. I was not wearing the ugly Superman, Clark Kent glasses.
As an adult, I have great vision. I need reading glasses only when I read small letters. I ended up purchasing the same reading glasses I crunched at 11-years-old. (Wearing them in the car) Now as an adult, I love reading glasses and I love to match the colors and shapes with what I wear. I have more than 30 pairs, but if I see something new and cute I will buy more pairs. Yesterday, my daughter bought me three more new pairs. The benefit of being young and living to see old ugly fashions become cool again decades later.

 



 

 

3 comments:

BostonPobble said...

Sunglasses have been my thing since I was in high school. Now that I have prescription glasses, I am learning the joys of accessorizing with them, as well. Curiously, a pair of my favorites are straight out of the 50s as well.

Rose said...

So cool Pobble!

Optickart said...

Good color and shape for your face. I hide my eye bags with mine and also add color.
Fastrack sunglasses | Eyeglasses Frames