Thursday, December 23, 2010

The Month of December

December has not been a good month for my family lately. From the time I was a child until year 2000, I have looked forward to this day with great anticipation. Now I meet this month with a lot of trepidation. Christmas has always been a time for family gatherings from Iowa, Mississippi, Chicago, Minnesota and several other states. Although we come together as a family often, around the holiday season we visit so much more.

On December 25, 2000 my 43 year-old brother had a seizure and died. Although he suffered from mouth cancer it was not what killed him. Unfortunately, after cooking and dancing with my mom and aunt and some other relatives the night before, we lost him the very next day.

They say the person gives signs that their life is coming to an end. He told me about five months earlier that he was leaving. He had moved in with mother because she wanted to help him through the radiation treatments. It was at this time he told me he was leaving and not coming back. I thought he was talking about getting an apartment as he had complained about not having his own place anymore. He also told my aunt he wouldn’t be around to celebrate her 44th birthday which was on January 1st, 2001. She seemed upset and he looked so sad, but mother said he perked up and said, “Ok I’ll be here.”

Ok maybe I am getting off topic a bit so I digress.

In 1999 we lost my father in law on December 21, a brother n-law on December 16th in 1993, a nephew on Dec, 27th, 2008 at age 17, and a family friend on Dec 16, 2005. Even though we have lost so many people, I still have to celebrate this time for children in my family and mostly because this is the day that Jesus was born. Plus I am so thankful.

But still this time brings much sadness to many people. There are those who are sad because they cannot celebrate this time of the year due to a lack of money. Others suffer depression because a love one is no longer around. Holidays bring out the best and worst of many of us for many reasons. But many of us still smile because we want or have to. You don’t want to bring others down with your gloominess.

I am happy that I am healthy. But may I ask you two things for this holiday week? The first is to pray for my baby brother to have good health. His name is Johnaver, as a matter of fact, if you could include my entire family and I will do the same for all of you. Next I ask that you have the very best Christmas Holiday and a Happy New Year.

Thanks for reading my blog and I look forward to sharing more with you in the New Year….

1 comment:

BostonPobble said...

Johnaver, and you!, are in prayers here. Plus, I'll pass it along.