Thursday, February 18, 2010

On the Brink of Madness (cond't) chapter 1


“Yes I am. I know him.”

“I do too, and I don’t feel like anything is wrong.”

“Well, that is a good thing.”

“Are you on your way now?”

“I am pulling up into his driveway. I’ll call you once I find out what is wrong.”

“If he was talking, and that’s the only symptom he has to support your theory that something is wrong, then I know he is fine. The tone of his voice won’t kill him.”

“Okay Mom, I’ll call you back.”

I hung up the phone and jumped out of the car so fast I left the key in the ignition and the car running. Quickly turning back towards the car, I snatch the door open, lean in and turn the car off and grab my keys. I run to the back of his house, because the door we all use is located there. I knocked on his sliding glass door and see him walking towards me. He opens the door and his face looks worried.

“What’s wrong Dad?”

“I want them people out of here.”

“What people?” I asked.

Raising his hand up in the air he points to the corner in his den. “Right there!”

“Where?!” I ask again getting scared because I don’t know what these people will do to the both of us.

“They are in the book shelves. It’s three of them. I didn’t ask them to be here and I want them out now, before I blow their asses out of this house.”

I look again. “I don’t see anyone. There is no one there.”

“They are smart enough to hide from you. They are about this big.”

I turn to look at him to see how big the people are and he holds up both hands about the length of a football apart to show me how tall they measure. I look at him again. I place my hand across my chest and sit down. I am weak. Sitting down will help me to think.

“I am not crazy I didn’t want to tell you.”

“How long have they been here?” I ask.

“About two months. They sit there on the bookshelf and stare at me. I want them gone. I can barely pay my bills and I didn’t invite anybody here.”

Closing my eyes, I silently asked God to help me not to say the wrong thing. I don’t want to upset him anymore than he already is. Looking at Dad, I see so much worry in his face. He wants me to help, but I don’t know what to do. I can’t see what he sees but I know I have to be careful with what I say.

“Dad, are you afraid of these little people?”

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My heart is touched by the magnitude of such a dilemma.

Dr. Deb said...

Oh.....this is so hard. My heart aches for you.

TJ said...

I don't know if this is a short story or real life, but my family recently went through a similar episode with one of my cousins. She's almost 90 and she started getting lost on the way home. She's in assisted living now. It was really really sad.

Dee said...

well, is he afraid of the little people?
I am reminded of A beautiful Mind
there is more than one way of getting along and being okay